Before the Chola division of land system was called Nadu. The Nadu means division of lands. The Cholas in 10th century their land system was changed Mandalam. The unity of few division lands called Mandalam. Today the Mandalam was changed a district. The Hoysalas created to the Parpathi posts. After Hoysalas the Vijayanagar kings follow the Parpathi. In 13th century the Vijayanagar kings changed every Mandalam had divided few Seemai. Every Seemai had one chief. This chief was called Parpathi. The Parpathi was appointed by the ruling government. The duty of Parpathi had collection of land revenue.

The Udhagamandalam [Nilgiri] ancient name was Otthagai. The Otthagaimandalam was divided into four Seemai. Each Seemai had one Parpathi. The Doddanadu Seemai Parpathi was the chief of all Nilgiri Parpathies. Every Hatty [hamlet] Gauda collected land revenue to submit the Seemai Parpathi. It is not an hereditary post. The Badagas follow till date. The Britishers called Ottacamund, Uttacamund. Now the Otthagaimandalam is changed Udhagamandalam and Udhagai. 

Self sufficient people: Badugas

The primary occupation of the Baduga is agriculture, they are among their community, bricklayers, carpenters, tailors, sawyers, barbers, washer man, etc…,[Edgar Thruston,1897:1].

The Budagas are not depend on other tribes of the hills. 

“Baduga are not depending on Kota artisans for implements and other services”, [Dr.JakkaParthabarathi, 2008:55].

Kola system

The Badugas have no Kolas. 


Cinnaganega post was created in 17th century by Cikka Deva Raya. He gave emblem of Lingam.The Lingam is two inches length. Cinna mean badge, ganege mean protect man. Cinnaganega was assted by Seemai Parpathi. Every Seemai having one Cinnaganege. Cinnaganege was announce the duty of festival day. Badugas follow this post till date.

YBA Young Baduga Assocation(Ooty)


According to the Mekanadu meeting was convened on 6-4-1979, under the helm of its Parpathi C.Nandhi Gowder of Bickol village at Ambukandi,the members present in it were about 300 and it nominated whole heartedly 15 members to that body.


The general meeting of Porangadnadu was convened on 13-4-1979,at Nattakal under the the helm of Parpathi J.Joghee Gowder of Thandanadu and presided over by C.Ajja Gowder .The members present it were about 257.it is also elected its 15 members. 


18-4-1979,Tothanadu(Thodanadu) had convened the meeting under its leader Ponna Gowder a teacher by profession of Tuneri village. The meeting was held at YBA Ootacamund. The members present in it were 113,it also elected its 15 members among the 15 members Ponna Gowder was the 4th member for the election of Mr.Mathan.


The meeting of Kundee was convened at Manjoor under the helm of B.K Linga Gowder Ex.MLA.,the members present in it were 113 and it was elected its 15 members.

In 1981 YBA was renamed as Nakkubetta Badugar Sangam under the registered societies act of XXI of 1860.

Nakku Betta Badugar Sangam in 1981, The members as follows.

6 Committee Members

1)Parpaythi Joghee Gowder ,Thanthanadu- Planter member.

2)Ponna Gowder, Tuneri – Landlord.

3)Parpathi C.Nandhi Gowder, Bickol – Landlord.

4)Parpathy H.Matha Gowder, Melkundha - Planter. 

Mr.Mathan nominated ten committee members among them Ponna Gowder of Tuneri was the second member. He was not the Parpathi among the first four committee members, Why the Parepathi of Devani for Dodda nadu was not included in this list?


The East India Company had acquired a few acres of lands from Tunerians and Davanian at Ootacamund area. So the certificate was given to the village head man of Tuneri had boosted it, as he was a given certificate to become the chief of Nakkubetta. In1837, H.Joghee Gowder of Tuneri the grandson of Patharaja was awarded the King George vi, coronation medal. No Tunerian and the people of Kadanadu had participated in the independence war. The Tunerian paramount was after 1837.